Tuesday, July 7, 2009

GMC Yukon Hybrid Driving Impressions

This is a huge-ass vehicle. I forget that when it's not directly in my line of sight. But this honker seats eight. EIGHT. And we're not talking eight of me ... which would probably fit in a Mini Cooper. We're talking eight real people.

After my long run last weekend, it was actually funny. People were clamoring to ride with me because they wanted to see if they fit and how it rode. Que serra. They had a blast, and I liked seeing how they fit. Plus, I discovered that the middle-row seats don't slide and tilt all that easily to allow rear-seat passengers.

The last time I drove a large GM hybrid (the Cadillac Escalade), it was in the middle of our long stretch of sub-zero days and I could only manage to get 12 or 13 mpg. Ugh. But a lot of that had to do with the fact that it was so cold, and you need the battery to be warm to operate at an optimal level. I just wasn't getting it into autostop enough. But this time around, the weather was obviously much nicer, and the fuel economy showed it. I averaged about 18 mpg during the test week in combined city/highway driving. You'll note that's actually better than the much smaller Camaro that I was driving last week. I know, I know, apples and oranges. But I still thought it was interesting.

I really like the comfort level of the Yukon. For such a large vehicle, it's surprisingly comfortable. And, the total visibility is also surprising. I could see very well out the front and all around the vehicle.

Maneuverability was also good. But, by the nature of the beast, the turning radius wasn't stellar, and there were definitely some parking places I did not fit in. The Yukon may have driven small, but it was a large, large vehicle.

The verdict? If you really need a large vehicle (really?), I say the hybrid GMC is a good way to go. You get all the size you need and you do shrink your environmental foot print a wee bit. But, I would say this is good only if you are hauling people OR things. It won't do both simultaneously.

Love it: I was very impressed by the consistent 18 mpg fuel rating ... even though I'm not a very green driver. Optional power liftgate.

Hate it: The middle seat is difficult to tilt so that passengers can get in the rear seat. Removing the seats to have more cargo volume is damn near impossible -- especially for someone of my size. The seats weigh almost as much as me! And then where do you put them? I live in the city for Pete's sake! No garage.

Can't live without it: Running boards. I'd never get into this vehicle otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment