Thursday, September 3, 2009

The challenge: The worst mileage I can get in a Prius (Leg 1)

So, everyone is always talking about how good the mileage is in the Prius. With a combined rating of 50 mpg, it's the most fuel efficient mass-produced gasoline vehicle currently available.

When I was on a recent launch for the vehicle, there were numbers like 70 mpg and even 90 mpg being floated around. But there was one guy who had a really different idea: What's the worst mileage you can get in a Prius. He ended up somewhere around 25 mpg.

I figure with my lead foot and in a city like Chicago, surely I could do much worse.

So today, I'm throwing down the gauntlet. What's the worst I can do?

Leg 1: The trip to work

On the way to work today from the north side of Chicago to Wilmette, I rolled down all my windows, cranked up the A/C, turned on power mode and gunned it out of every stoplight. There were also quite a few 80 mph stints on the highway and power passes, which I stopped after seeing several state troopers trolling about.

The result?

Miles traveled 13.6
Final mpg: 39.9 mpg.

Hmmmm. Not quite what I was looking for.

OK. I'm heading to lunch in a half hour. Any other tips to get those mpgs down?

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to accelerate all the way to the stop sign / red light, then slam on the brakes...

    ReplyDelete